About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Uncle Edgar’s Mystery Bookstore

Uncle Edgar’s Mystery Bookstore in Minneapolis has the largest selection of mystery books in one store I have visited. Add in the science fiction stock from Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore which shares the location and there is a huge selection of books.

The neighbourhood is far from gentrified. If the location helps to keep overhead down and more books in the store all the better for readers.

It is interesting that Minneapolis has a pair of fine mystery bookstores. Earlier this year I did a profile of Once Upon a Crime Bookstore.

Entering Uncle Edgar’s is to encounter an almost overwhelming number of books that overflow the spacious store interior. There are books on shelves, on revolving stands, on the floor. There are mysteries everywhere.

The staff is very helpful at identifying the location of books.

With so many books in the store it is a good place to search for books that have been hard to find in other stores.

Browsing is bound to mean the purchase of a bag of books.

When I was there I did wish there were easy locations to sit down and look at a book.


In the section on news and editorials Don Blyly has an interesting editorial on why he thinks e-books are being over-blamed for the drop in sales at bookstores.

The store is located at
2864 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis MN 55407
about 2.5 km south of downtown Minneapolis.

John in his Pretty Sinister Books blog discusses his visits to Uncle Edgar’s at  http://prettysinister.blogspot.com/2011/07/uncle-edgars-book-shop-minneapolis-mn.html

When I am in Minneapolis I make sure I visit Uncle Edgar’s.

2 comments:

  1. Bill - I love excellent bookshops like this one. They're such fun places to get lost in and find those rare readable treats, aren't they? I appreciate the spotlight. I don't get to Minneapolis often, but next time I do, I know where I'm headed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Even before I get to a city I am seeking out the bookstores, especially the mystery bookstores. It would not feel right to go traveling and not go to bookstores.

    ReplyDelete