About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, December 21, 2012

The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly

50. – 460.) The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly – A master of crime fiction brings together his lawyer character, Mickey Haller, with his detective character, Harry Bosch. Haller is recovering from rehab for prescription drug addiction when friend and colleague, Jerry Vincent, is murdered. He has named Haller as his successor and he inherits a franchise case, the defence of movie mogul, Walter Elliott, to double murder charges (wife and lover). Bosch is designated to investigate Vincent’s murder. The story focuses on Haller’s defence. Bosch’s investigation weaves around the defence. Haller learns Vincent had a “magic bullet” – evidence or a theory that will devastate the prosecution. Haller finds the bullet. Connelly gives enough evidence and confirmation when Haller has found it but I did not figure out the bullet. While interesting the story is slower moving than most Connelly mysteries. As the trial is about to begin the story takes off as twists starting occurring that I never saw coming. The trial provides a vivid demonstration of how to effectively present demonstrative expert evidence. The twists continue through to the end of the book. As usual Connelly works in some personal history that keeps me hooked on the characters. If the first 2/3 of the book had been as good as the final 1/3 it would have been a great book. (I learned abit of police jargon – the brass verdict is the street solution to solving/avenging a murder.) Hardcover as always. (Dec. 6/08)

 

2 comments:

  1. Bill - I have to say that I agree with you. The final third of the book is where it really comes to life. And you've put your finger on one of Connelly's real gifts: developing characters you really care about. I like the plot twists too of course but really it's the characters for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. In every book Connelly has one or more characters I find memorable.

    ReplyDelete