About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

This is All Around the World

This is All Around the World* - From Margot Kinberg's fine blog, Confessions of a Mystery Novelist, I am re-blogging a post about Petrona Remembered.

MC
 
Hello, All,
 
One of the best things about the online crime fiction community is sharing books we’ve loved, and getting ideas from others’ top reads. In that spirit, I’d like to remind you if you did know, and tell you if you didn’t, about Petrona Remembered. 
 
Petrona Remembered is a blog dedicated to the memory of the late and much-missed Maxine Clarke, a true friend of the crime fiction community. The aim of the blog is to develop a resource of great crime novels that crime fiction fans can use to broaden their horizons, and that those new to the genre can use to get started on their own crime-fictional journeys. I’ve no doubt Maxine would have been pleased at the idea of a blog that gathers posts by crime fiction lovers from all over the world.
 
Now that you’ve got the background, here’s some exciting news about the blog. Thanks to a terrific idea from Bill Selnes at Mysteries and More from Saskatchewan,we’ll be continuing to honour Maxine’s memory and continuing to build the virtual library, and you’re invited to be a part of it. Here’s Bill’s idea: Contributors will write an annual post on an excellent crime novel they’ve read that year, and would recommend to Maxine. If you never got the opportunity to meet Maxine either in real life or online, feel free to check out the About section of Petrona Remembered. That’ll give you a clear idea of the sort of reader she was. Each contributor’s post will go up simultaneously on the blogger’s site and on Petrona Remembered. Each blogger chooses a month, so that Petrona Remembered can offer great recommendations all year long.
 
We’ll be starting on 15 July with a post from Bill Selnes. He’ll do a similar post next July. In August, I’ll take my turn. Get the idea? Want to be a part of it yourself? Sure you do!! Just let us know which month you’d like and of course, let us know if you have any questions.
 
Also, if you’re interested in being a part of Petrona Remembered, please consider re-posting this announcement and add in your own plan for taking part or for letting others know. Thanks!
 
Here’s to lots of fine crime fiction for all of us!
 
****
 
I hope lots of mystery review bloggers will drop over to Margot's blog to sign up to post an annual recommendation from their reading in the past year that they would like to have recommended to Maxine. It would be great to fill up all the months of the year more than once.
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bill, for this wonderful idea about Petrona Remembered. I think it's going to be great. And thanks for the re-blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for your kind words. I appreciate them. I also thank you for without your organizational skills the idea would not have become reality.

      Delete
  2. A terrific idea Bill, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a terrific idea; it keeps on honoring the late, brilliant Maxine Clarke, and it calls attention to more good crime fiction. Will read it, don't know if I can contribute, but I will keep up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thank you. I was glad to come up with a way for us to remember Maxine in a way that reflected her love of crime fiction. I hope you will consider contributing to the recommendations. If you decide to participate please contact Margot.

      Delete
  4. I will. It's just that I spent time writing and editing and proofreading in my real life -- and then I read so many blogs and comment that lately I've had no time for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy D.: Thanks for the comment. I do hope you keep commenting. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on my posts.

      Delete
  5. Great idea, Bill. The blog will continue to be a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Thanks for the comment. I hope it can be a living resource.

      Delete