About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Friday, May 29, 2015

2015 Winners of the Arthur Ellis Awards for Canadian Crime Fiction


Congratulations to the Winners of the

2015 Arthur Ellis Awards


Best Novel
C.C. Humphreys, Plague, Doubleday Canada

Best First Novel
Steve Burrows, Siege of Bitterns, Dundurn Press

Best Novella *
Jas. R. Petrin, A Knock on the Door, Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine

Best Short Story
Margaret Atwood, Stone Mattress, McClelland & Stewart

Best Book in French
Andrée Michaud, Bondrée, Editions Québec Amérique

Best Juvenile/YA Book
Sigmund Brouwer, Dead Man's Switch, Harvest House

Best Nonfiction Book
Charlotte Gray, The Massey Murder, HarperCollins

Unhanged Arthur for Best Unpublished First Crime Novel
Strange Things Done by Elle Wild
 
Sylvia McConnell received the Derrick Murdoch Award. She began RendezVous Crime in 1998 and published 80 crime novels over the next 13 years which were written by Canadians and set in Canada.
 
I am about half way through the short list for the Best Novel. As I have not yet started Plague I have decided to leave it for the last of the five books on the short list.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Bill. I'll be really interested in your review of Plague when you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It is always exciting to read the book judged the best in Canada.

    ReplyDelete