About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Thoughts on the Humboldt Broncos Tragedy

As with everyone in Saskatchewan and many beyond our borders I have been thinking about the bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos hockey team. Tragedy comes in different ways to all of us. 

Sometimes it is sudden. I have received a call from the RCMP in the night of a loved one being badly injured in an accident.

Other times it can come slowly. In 1991 I started representing hemophiliacs infected with AIDS. At that time there was no treatment and all were dying. Over the next 5 years 8 of my first 11 clients died.

Whether sudden or slow the emotional loss was intense. How to move forward after tragedy is a personal decision. My Catholic faith has helped sustain me.

I do the best I can to appreciate each day knowing it may be too late tomorrow.

Now the living Broncos, their families and the community of Humboldt face a loss that challenges description.

Sharon grew up near Humboldt. I went to high school at St. Peter’s College in Muenster. We know many people who will be in grief in Humboldt.

I have prayed and will pray again for the lost and those still alive.

7 comments:

  1. Bill, I am glad that your Catholic faith sustains you. And your comment about appreciating each day is so true. After the fires near (and encroaching upon) Santa Barbara and the mudslides in Montecito, it brought home how fragile life is and not to take it for granted. I cannot imagine the pain the Humboldt community is going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. I was just reading biographies of those killed and injured and it was wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TracyK: Sorry I did not get your name correct in my reply. I should have gotten it right.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. It is a tragic loss to all of us, and especially to those who lost friends, loved ones, and acquaintances. Like Tracy, I'm glad your faith sustains you. One of the things I think helps at a time like this is to work and stand together. I know when sorrow has come to me and people I care about, it's helped to have the support of others. My thoughts, prayers, and wishes for peace and healing to those who are coping with the loss of people they knew and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot: Thanks for the comment and kind words. In our office is a young associate lawyer. On the day after the crash she was at family home in Saskatoon wanting to help in some way. She has a personal connection in that her brother is a professional hockey player. In the afternoon she went down to the University Hospital where the survivors were hospitalized and volunteered to help. I told her I admired her.

      Delete
  4. Such a dreadful accident, and horrible to think of the impact on so many lives, an impact that will continue for years. I found your words helpful: thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moira: Thanks for the comment. Since the accident there have been a pair of situations compounding the loss. Two days after the accident it was determined that there had been a mistake in identifications. A boy thought dead was alive and the boy thought alive was dead. Then yesterday a young athletic therapist injured in the accident died.

    I am glad you found my words helpful.

    ReplyDelete